Saturday 7 January 2012

parkrun day and it included me!

First official Brueton parkrun of the year and I was there running, thanks to Eric & Jeanette, the core volunteer team and the other runners who came forward to help out today. I've read and heard all over that a 5k parkrun makes for a great feature in a marathon training plan, so I'm looking forward to fitting these in to my schedule in 2012. I want to do 18 parkruns this year (compared to just 7 in 2011) and believe this is perfectly achievable given the experience of the core volunteer team so long as there is a steady flow of runners willing to play their part in helping to make our event happen.

So on to today's run (note the word race is not used). Current PB is 25:50 achieved on the Knowle & Dorridge Club Day last November when I hung on for dear life to the 26 minute pacer (and cried for the last mile). The pacer, Kevin Boake was brilliant that day encouraging a group of us all the way around - he sent me a very kind email afterwards saying that I could progress in to being a 23 minute runner. I've dined out on those words since!

Not a PB breaking day today, but a good reflection of my gradually improving post Christmas form. Final official time was 26:37 from starting at the back (or 26:26 if I started my watch on reaching the start line). Bit of a weak second mile, but recovered well for the finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment