Sunday 8 January 2012

Grand Prix Success!

One of the main features of the winter season is the Centurion Grand Prix 5 mile monthly series over six months. I find it good for building a faster pace into a 10k run. Today was race 3 of 6 in this year's series. The course is three laps on track and tarmac around a lake and is usually wind affected on the far side of the course, but not too bad today compared to last month albeit a bit muddy in places.

Target for today was to attempt a sub 44 min 5 mile PB. I latched on to a small group of runners who were going around my 8:45 target pace, but they slowed down after two miles and I slowed with them until I decided to break out to try and keep up with the target pace. I continued a steady pace to finish in 44:18 - not the sub 44 mins I had hoped, but my fastest Centurion GP run to date and showing good improvement too (I ran 50:58 in Jan 2011). Larry ran today as well, achieving a third consecutive Grand Prix PB to post a time of 56:02. A good day all round.

Thanks to Tom Morris for this photo

No comments:

Post a Comment