Monday 2 January 2012

No time to wait - the training has already begun!

2nd January and it's my second run of the year. Yesterday I did a New Year's Day parkrun Freedom run at Brueton to clock up a 5km start to the year and boy was it tough. I really wanted to stop at 2 miles and it wasn't if I had been running too fast - just a combination of too much partying and too few hours sleep. But I crawled round to 28:42 - really pleased that I did actually finish the run.

So onto today's race, my first time at the Coventry Godiva New Year 5 mile race. Races tend to be a bit clubby at this time of year, so it was going to be a fast race (for some). I, on the other hand am happy to run at the back with the view of measuring success in terms of actually completing the run and adding to the week's mileage (particularly with how difficult yesterday ended up). So off we went and I got swept away with the crowd at an optimistic 8:45 mins/mile pace. I stayed at this rate for two miles and then started to fade to a 9:30 pace, but it seemed that the people in front of me had also slowed a bit too, so why not have a go at picking a few of them off? And so I did and my pace picked up with it and the last mile was 8:12 largely due to a full sprint in full view of the spectators at the finish to get past a club runner - get me! 44:05 was my final time and a 16 second improvement on my 5 mile PB. A great day as Larry got a 56:19 PB too.

No comments:

Post a Comment