Sunday 19 August 2012

Mental Strength Comes in White Hats!

Following recent success with the interval runs, I stuck with them throughout August and reaped the rewards with 2 further 24 minute times at Brueton parkrun. (Yes, believe it when I say I ran at Brueton parkrun for 3 weeks in a row!)

In terms of the weekend long runs, I was a bit concerned that running so hard on a Saturday would affect Sunday, but after a few miles in to each run I was fine. I did my second run at 15 miles - again maintaining a pace just under marathon pace all the way. Seems easy enough on paper, but still 11 miles shy of the full marathon distance. On a mid-week catch up with a couple of fellow Chester Marathon first timers, we confessed our mutual fears of not being able to move up through the longer training distances let alone complete a marathon itself.

I guess the main challenge for a marathon first timer is the mental approach; i.e. gaining the belief it can be done without any similar experience to draw upon. It's only 7 weeks away now and with 2 weeks of tapering at the end of the plan, it leaves just a handful of opportunities to do the longer runs in the time that remains.

Is it a lack of confidence or just being in uncharted terriotory? I've trained better than the plan throughout May, June, July and August, so why should I fail now? The plan says it can be done, so surely it must remain a possibility - cue inspiration and a change of tactic.

The confidence boost can be achieved by controlled pacing and a stronger finish in each of the training long runs. However maintaining my current sub marathon pace beyond 15 miles is not a reality - to find this extra 11 miles I need to run smarter. My first 17.5 mile run fell on a hot day - time for a new tactic. Eric had suggested that I break the run into sections and apply a pace to each section.

So armed with my white hat and an application of my special sport sun cream to keep the sun at bay, a set of gels on my fancy new gel belt, a bottle of water, an emergency mobile phone and money to buy drinks as I go round, I set out on my 17.5 mile run - initially running the first 5 miles at a minute per mile slower than normal (just inside 12 mins/mile), then take the pace back to the usual long run pace just inside 11 mins per mile (for another 5 miles) and then go back to the slower pace again for 5 miles. At 15 miles assess where I am and decide the finish, with the preferred option to be the stronger finish if at all possible. I did and it worked brilliantly. After 3hrs and 17 mins of running, gels consumed and drinks money spent, I made it home for my well earned recovery milkshake. Job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment